Nursery Assistant Job Description
Work Schedule: Up to 10 hours per week; during the program year on Sundays from 8:30 am to 1 pm to offer nursery care for children during the 9 am and 11:15 am services and the 10 am formation hour. During the Summer, from June to early September, 9:30 am to 11:30 am. Additional hours for special service times (for e.g., Christmas Eve), events and meetings are requested, and adequate notice is provided. Meetings with supervisor(s), occur outside of the childcare hours, scheduled as convenient for both parties.
The Nursery Assistant ensures that the St. George’s nursery is a safe and loving environment for the youngest members of the parish, 0-4 years of age. The Nursery Assistants contribute to creating a warm, trustworthy and welcoming environment for children and their adult guardians. The Nursery Assistants follow the appropriate safety procedures and other guidelines.
Child care and nursery management
• Provides care for children in the nursery, including diaper changes, consoling upset children, providing snacks etc.;
• Helps to ensure appropriate ratio of adults to children is maintained in the nursery (1:4 with children over 1; 1: 3 with babies under 1), and the appropriate number of nursery staff are present (2); for a maximum capacity of 8 individuals in the nursery;
• Informs the Nursery Supervisor about supplies needed, including snacks, diapers, wipes and first aid kit;
• Manages the sign-in/sign-out process for children and their adult guardians, releasing children only to adults authorized for pick-up;
• Maintains an injury log that records the details of any accident, date and time parents notified and their response, and keeps supervisor apprised;
• Meets regularly with supervisor to learn about nursery care for the upcoming segment of the calendar year, with particular attention to special services, and to learn about any changes or events that would have an impact on nursery;
• Practices at least once annually the emergency fire exit procedure to ensure their successful use in an emergency, under the guidance of the Nursery Supervisor;
Minimum requirements and qualifications:
• A minimum of 3 years related experience which includes working with young children (children under 6)
• Full Covid vaccination
• Certification in Infant/child CPR and First Aid (preferable, not required)
• Safeguarding God’s children (all modules relating to this job description)
• Organizational skills and strong oral communication skills
• Good team player and interpersonal skills.
• Able to move freely in and out of different settings (homes, church, outdoors),
• Able to lift small children.
Those interested in applying should contact Marilyn Farrington.