St. George’s, a growing parish of the Diocese of Virginia, seeks a Director of Children’s and Youth Formation.
For almost 300 years, St. George’s has been extending a message of Christian welcome and hospitality in Fredericksburg and beyond. Our community loves tradition and also embraces innovation and creativity. We treasure variety and diversity within a context of unity and communion. We strive to fulfill the mission of the Church to restore all persons to unity with God and each other in Christ.
St. George’s is known in Fredericksburg as a place where people of many faiths and backgrounds can gather for prayer, service, and conversation. We offer five Sunday liturgies (average Sunday attendance of 425) as well as weekday noon services led by a mixture of clergy (2 full-time and 1 quarter-time priests) and lay ministers.
St. George’s Preschool offers a Montessori-style approach and scholarships to a quarter of the 40 children enrolled. Christian formation at St. George’s centers around the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd for children and programs for youth and adults that invite curiosity rather than demand conformity.
The Director of Children’s and Youth Formation works under the general supervision of the Associate Rector and Rector. This full time, salaried position maintains work hours from Sunday through Thursday. The Director of Children’s and Youth Formation is responsible for helping shape and implement a parish vision for the spiritual formation of children and youth (nursery – 12th grade), into all aspects of life at St. George’s in ways that support and nurture a deepening spirituality.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate possesses a Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent), strong communication skills, including volunteer and personnel management, as well as solid computer skills (including MS Office Suite). A willingness to be trained in the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (at least through level II) and interest in developing an understanding of liturgy and theology with support from clergy and other resources, are desired.
Overview of responsibilities:
Children and Youth Formation:
- Support the greater mission of providing a safe Christian community for children, youth, and young families where all are accepted, loved, and nurtured
- Develop, monitor, coordinate Catechesis of the Good Shepherd programming
- Develop, monitor, coordinate youth programming
- Oversee children / youth related programs (e.g. Sunday School, Youth Group, Nursery)
- Recruit and supervise adult volunteers / teachers for Sunday School and Youth Group
- Coordinate youth mission trips and fundraising efforts for trips
- Oversee budget and budget planning for children and youth formation ministries
- Share in Pastoral Care for children and youth
- Work with the leadership to develop a vision of welcome and community for children and young families at St. George’s.
- Coordinate Baptisms including classes, scheduling, and communications
Salary range is available upon request. Benefits include (but are not limited to) complete medical, dental, and vision coverage, continuing education funds, and sabbatical leave.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to the Rev. Joe Hensley at St. George’s by mail or email:
The Rev. Joe Hensley, Rector
St. George’s Episcopal Church
Or by postal mail to:
905 Princess Anne Street
Fredericksburg, VA 22401