St. George’s, a growing parish of the Diocese of Virginia, seeks a Director of Children’s and Youth Formation to begin work in early summer 2018.
For almost 300 years, St. George’s has been extending a message of Christian welcome and hospitality in Fredericksburg and beyond. Our community loves tradition and also embraces innovation and creativity. We treasure variety and diversity within a context of unity and communion. We strive to fulfill the mission of the Church to restore all persons to unity with God and each other in Christ.
St. George’s is known in Fredericksburg as a place where people of many faiths and backgrounds can gather for prayer, service, and conversation. We offer five Sunday liturgies (average Sunday attendance of 425) as well as weekday noon services led by a mixture of clergy (2 full-time and 1 quarter-time priests) and lay ministers.
St. George’s Preschool offers a Montessori-style approach and scholarships to a quarter of the 40 children enrolled. Christian formation at St. George’s centers around the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd for children and programs for youth and adults that invite curiosity rather than demand conformity.
The Director of Children’s and Youth Formation works under the general supervision of the Associate Rector and Rector. This full time, salaried position maintains work hours from Sunday through Thursday. The Director of Children’s and Youth Formation is responsible for helping shape and implement a parish vision for the spiritual formation of children and youth (nursery – 12th grade), into all aspects of life at St. George’s in ways that support and nurture a deepening spirituality.
QUALIFICATIONS: The ideal candidate possesses a Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) and is trained in or is willing to be trained in the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (at least through level II). They must possess strong communication skills, including volunteer and personnel management, as well as solid computer skills (including MS Office Suite). A deep understanding of liturgy and theology is highly desired.
Overview of responsibilities:
- Develop current program and monitor changes to Catechesis of the Good Shepherd
- Recruit, train, and supervise volunteer Catechists and organize formal trainings for staff and volunteers
- Communicate with parents and the parish about Children’s Ministry activities
- Organize and support non-Sunday morning programming for children.
- Work with the Rector to ensure the inclusion of children at many levels of worship
- Oversee the budget and budget planning
- Hire and supervise Nursery Staff.
- Work with Nursery Supervisor to ensure a safe and healthy environment for young children.
- Oversee preparation materials and classes
- Communicate with parents and others interested in baptism at St. George’s.
- Coordinate with Rector to schedule rehearsals and baptism dates.
- Work with the leadership to develop a vision of welcome for children and young families at St. George’s.
- Work to develop and support community among the young families.
- Plan and schedule presentations in collaboration with the Preschool staff
- Work with St. George’s Preschool as the Catechist, leading weekly chapel and special liturgies
- Support youth ministry mission: to develop a safe Christian community where everyone is accepted, loved, and nurtured
- Work with the associate rector to nurture teens and their families
- Oversee youth related programs: including Sunday school and youth group.
- Recruit, train and coordinate volunteers/teachers.
- Coordinate youth mission trips and fundraising efforts for trips
- Encourage participation in Diocesan youth events
- Establish a Youth committee made up of adult volunteers and youth to assist in the development of the various youth programs
- Recruit youth to help lead worship
- Develop and monitor youth budget
- Share in pastoral care for youth
Supervision and Administration
- Supervise the youth ministry administrative assistant (works 10 hours/week)
- Oversee compliance with Diocesan requirements regarding appropriate “safe church” training in preventing sexual misconduct and abuse for volunteers working with children and youth.
- Establish/implement policies and procedures to promote appropriate safety and security during children and youth programs
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to:
The Rev. Joe Hensley, Rector
St. George’s Episcopal Church
Or by postal mail to:
905 Princess Anne Street
Fredericksburg, VA 22401